It was a busy week for mid-June in the NFL. Here five stories that stood out to me:
1. Chad Johnson will be donating 30 days of his time to the local jail due to a misunderstanding at a recent court hearing. The judge asked the former wide receiver if he was happy with his representation. He said yes. She said he should be; he had a great lawyer. He then proceeded to convey his appreciation in the form of a football-style butt-pat (really, guys…why do you do this?) to his lawyer. The courtroom found it amusing. The judge did not. She rejected his plea bargain and sentenced him to 30 days in jail.
Now, it’s not my call to determine whether the behavior that warranted his appearance in court in the first place was deserving of jail-time. But what he did in the courtroom hardly seems like cause for such a steep punishment – especially considering the source. It didn’t seem like he was trying to be disrespectful; it seemed like a knee-jerk reaction. One way or the other, Ochocinco is having a hard time catching a break these days.
2. Vince Lombardi would have been 100 this week, and there were so many celebrations for the greatest coach in the history of the NFL. Look for one here next week!
3. Darnell Dockett will be freaking out opponents league-wide next season with his new face mask. He might not even have to do anything besides stand there to have his usual dominating effect. I mean, I’m not even lined up across from him and I probably won’t sleep tonight.
4. Packers-related items that you’ll like even if you aren’t a Packers fan: this Youtube series of rookie running back Johnathan Franklin, and this Podcast from Rich Eisen featuring Aaron Rodgers breaking down the Games of Thrones finale. (Do you guys watch that? I haven’t seen it yet.)
5. Fifth on our list and #5 on the Patriots roster: the newly-signed Tim Tebow. I’ve been hoping this would happen ever since the 2010 NFL Draft, so you can imagine my inability to keep my cool when I heard the news on Monday. New England has always seemed like the best possible place for Tim to grow as a quarterback. I seriously can’t wait to see what happens over the course of time if he has a place on the roster for the foreseeable future.
That’s a wrap! Have a great weekend, everyone!